Team GB officials bring Olympic torch to Pub landlady in Mile End
Officials brought the Olympic torch to a pub in Mile End after being impressed with the landlady’s support of Team GB.
Sheila Williams has adorned her Wentworth Arms on Eric Street in Mile End with flags and bunting for the Olympics.
Team GB officials who had been frequenting her pub ahead of the Games were so impressed with her decorations they came back before the start of the Olympics last week carrying an Olympic torch.
“I can’t believe the Olympic torch has been in my pub, it’s a great honour. I had no idea who they were, we had just been having general chit-chat.”
She was also presented with a designer Team GB scarf.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Williams also has a collection of Olympic 50 pence coins behind the bar, along with hanging baskets outside the pub with flowers in the colours of the Olympic rings.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning