Team of Wapping dads prepare to take on Arsenal ex-pro and celeb team
A team of Wapping dads plan to lace up their football boots and show their kids how its done by taking on seasoned ex-pros from Arsenal.
No longer content to watch the Wapping Warriors under-12s from the sidelines, they will take to the pitch themselves against former Arsenal players including Perry Groves and stars of music and sport such as Spandau Ballet’s Tony Hadley.
The game at the John Orwell sports centre in Tench Street on April 10 is also designed to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The Warriors’ manager Simon Blewett, who will himself pull on a shirt, said: “They play together every week whereas some of our team will be meeting for the first time so I’m not raising my expectations.
“It’s all about having a good time and letting the people of Wapping mingle with some celebs.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll give it a go though.”
The Arsenal squad features ex-players including Paul Davies, Ian Allinson and David Hillier as well as former cricketer Mark Ramprakash and actors Phil Daniels, Ralf Little and Joe Swash.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
Mr Blewett decided to organise the game to help the children’s hospital after doing some work at the Wapping playgroup, also in Tench Street.
The Warriors under-12s train at the sports centre and in Wapping Gardens and play their home London Saturday Youth Football League games at Hackney Marshes.
Tickets for the match, which kicks off at 3.30pm, are �1 but the amateur side are also seeking sponsorship with further donations welcomed.
Visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/wappingwarriors to donate.