Team of Wapping dads prepare to take on Arsenal ex-pro and celeb team
A team of Wapping dads plan to lace up their football boots and show their kids how its done by taking on seasoned ex-pros from Arsenal.
No longer content to watch the Wapping Warriors under-12s from the sidelines, they will take to the pitch themselves against former Arsenal players including Perry Groves and stars of music and sport such as Spandau Ballet’s Tony Hadley.
The game at the John Orwell sports centre in Tench Street on April 10 is also designed to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The Warriors’ manager Simon Blewett, who will himself pull on a shirt, said: “They play together every week whereas some of our team will be meeting for the first time so I’m not raising my expectations.
“It’s all about having a good time and letting the people of Wapping mingle with some celebs.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll give it a go though.”
The Arsenal squad features ex-players including Paul Davies, Ian Allinson and David Hillier as well as former cricketer Mark Ramprakash and actors Phil Daniels, Ralf Little and Joe Swash.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Families tell developers what's needed on Poplar's Teviot estate at fun day
- 10 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
Mr Blewett decided to organise the game to help the children’s hospital after doing some work at the Wapping playgroup, also in Tench Street.
The Warriors under-12s train at the sports centre and in Wapping Gardens and play their home London Saturday Youth Football League games at Hackney Marshes.
Tickets for the match, which kicks off at 3.30pm, are �1 but the amateur side are also seeking sponsorship with further donations welcomed.
Visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/wappingwarriors to donate.