Team USA coach Teresa Edwards passes on tips at Mile End Stadium
Team USA basketball coach Teresa Edwards visited Mile End Stadium last week for a coaching session and a question and answer session with young people.
The former player is the most decorated Olympic basketballer on the planet, having won four Olympic gold medals and one bronze during her illustrious career.
She was named in June as the team manager for Team USA’s basketball squad for its successful Olympic campaign, which ended in gold medals for both the men’s and the women’s teams.
Mile End Stadium was used as a training base by Team USA’s track and field athletes during the Games, and Ms Edwards made time on Thursday to give something back to local residents.
Speaking at the session, she said: “Team USA has been thrilled with the stadium’s facilities and the supportive reception we have received from the council. We have had an incredibly successful Games and have enjoyed every minute of our time here in London.”
You may also want to watch:
More than 60 young athletes from local clubs turned out to see her speak, and were also given the opprotunity to take part in some coaching drills she ran.
Nathaniel Modeste, 19, who is a sprinter from Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets Athletics Club, was among those who attended the event. He said: “I have been blown away by the positive attitude of the American team and Teresa Edwards is a great role model.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
As part of the agreement reached for its use of Mile End Stadium, Team USA carried out improvements to the facilties, including resurfacing the track. The athletes have also left some of their gym equipment for the benefit of residents.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, thanked the team for its generosity. He said: “Their investment into the stadium and commitment to engaging with Tower Hamlets young people will provide long lasting benefits to the local community.”