Teen thugs who beat waiter to death found guilty
TWO teenagers have been convicted at the Old Bailey today of killing 28-year-old waiter Syed Islam who tried to stop a mob fight at his restaurant in London’s East End. Syed, a student working part-time to pay his way through college, died following the fight in January after being beaten on the head
TWO teenagers have been convicted at the Old Bailey today (Friday) of killing 28-year-old waiter Syed Islam who tried to stop two groups of youths fighting at his restaurant in London’s East End.
Syed, a student from Pakistan working part-time as a waiter to pay his way through IT college, died following a fight at Bethnal Green’s Maida restaurant in January after being beaten on the head.
A disturbance broke out at the restaurant on January 15 involving 20 youths which Syed tried to calm down when he was coshed. He died at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel from a blow to the head.
You may also want to watch:
“A small and insignificant argument resulted in excessive violence,” Det Chief Ins Carl Mehta who led the investigation said after today’s convictions. “Weapons were used to resolve differences with another group of youngsters who were simply enjoying an evening meal.”
The jury found 18-year-old Mohammed Shaubuzzaman, from Wyllen Close in Whitechapel, and 19-year-old Bahar Uddin, from Sewardstone Road in Bethnal Green, guilty of manslaughter. Both are being sentenced at a later date.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park