Teen thugs who beat waiter to death found guilty
TWO teenagers have been convicted at the Old Bailey today of killing 28-year-old waiter Syed Islam who tried to stop a mob fight at his restaurant in London’s East End. Syed, a student working part-time to pay his way through college, died following the fight in January after being beaten on the head
TWO teenagers have been convicted at the Old Bailey today (Friday) of killing 28-year-old waiter Syed Islam who tried to stop two groups of youths fighting at his restaurant in London’s East End.
Syed, a student from Pakistan working part-time as a waiter to pay his way through IT college, died following a fight at Bethnal Green’s Maida restaurant in January after being beaten on the head.
A disturbance broke out at the restaurant on January 15 involving 20 youths which Syed tried to calm down when he was coshed. He died at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel from a blow to the head.
You may also want to watch:
“A small and insignificant argument resulted in excessive violence,” Det Chief Ins Carl Mehta who led the investigation said after today’s convictions. “Weapons were used to resolve differences with another group of youngsters who were simply enjoying an evening meal.”
The jury found 18-year-old Mohammed Shaubuzzaman, from Wyllen Close in Whitechapel, and 19-year-old Bahar Uddin, from Sewardstone Road in Bethnal Green, guilty of manslaughter. Both are being sentenced at a later date.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week