Teenager gets life at Old Bailey for killing student in park
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London. One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for murder
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar (pictured) in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London nearly two years ago.
One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for his murder in West Ham Park in October, 2007.
His accomplice, Kirkland Gayle, also now 19, was convicted of manslaughter and robbery and got seven years.
Det Ins Simon Pickford said after Friday's sentences: "Rizwan had everything to live for, but was stabbed in an unprovoked and callous attack by thugs determined to inflict violence.
You may also want to watch:
"His death shows the devastating consequences of knife crime. Young people need to realise the fatal damage knives cause, both to victims and their families and to their own families."
The thugs, not content with just stealing the phone, knifed Rizwan without reason as they fled the park. He died from a single stab wound.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs