Teenager gets life at Old Bailey for killing student in park
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London. One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for murder
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar (pictured) in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London nearly two years ago.
One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for his murder in West Ham Park in October, 2007.
His accomplice, Kirkland Gayle, also now 19, was convicted of manslaughter and robbery and got seven years.
Det Ins Simon Pickford said after Friday's sentences: "Rizwan had everything to live for, but was stabbed in an unprovoked and callous attack by thugs determined to inflict violence.
You may also want to watch:
"His death shows the devastating consequences of knife crime. Young people need to realise the fatal damage knives cause, both to victims and their families and to their own families."
The thugs, not content with just stealing the phone, knifed Rizwan without reason as they fled the park. He died from a single stab wound.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs