Teenager gets life at Old Bailey for killing student in park
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London. One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for murder
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar (pictured) in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London nearly two years ago.
One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for his murder in West Ham Park in October, 2007.
His accomplice, Kirkland Gayle, also now 19, was convicted of manslaughter and robbery and got seven years.
Det Ins Simon Pickford said after Friday's sentences: "Rizwan had everything to live for, but was stabbed in an unprovoked and callous attack by thugs determined to inflict violence.
You may also want to watch:
"His death shows the devastating consequences of knife crime. Young people need to realise the fatal damage knives cause, both to victims and their families and to their own families."
The thugs, not content with just stealing the phone, knifed Rizwan without reason as they fled the park. He died from a single stab wound.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 9 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines