Teenager gets life at Old Bailey for killing student in park
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London. One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for murder
TWO youths have been jailed at the Old Bailey for killing 17-year-old student Rizwan Darbar (pictured) in a mobile phone robbery in a park in East London nearly two years ago.
One is behind bars for life to serve a minimum 14 years for his murder in West Ham Park in October, 2007.
His accomplice, Kirkland Gayle, also now 19, was convicted of manslaughter and robbery and got seven years.
Det Ins Simon Pickford said after Friday's sentences: "Rizwan had everything to live for, but was stabbed in an unprovoked and callous attack by thugs determined to inflict violence.
You may also want to watch:
"His death shows the devastating consequences of knife crime. Young people need to realise the fatal damage knives cause, both to victims and their families and to their own families."
The thugs, not content with just stealing the phone, knifed Rizwan without reason as they fled the park. He died from a single stab wound.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel