Teenager stabbed to death in Poplar would have received top GCSEs today
- Credit: Archant
A teenager stabbed to death in the street by a gang of hoodies would have received top grades in his GCSEs today.
Ajmol Alom, a star pupil at Langdon Park School in Poplar, achieved eight As and three Bs.
The 16-year-old was knifed in the leg by the group in Poplar last week. His friend, also 16, was stabbed in the cheek, but survived the attack.
Ajmol had been considering a career in medicine, and his A grades included maths and all three sciences, which would have ensured his place on any science courses he chose to take in the Sixth Form.
His headteacher, Chris Dunne, said: “We are constantly bombarded with negative stories about young people, about their poor attitudes and anti-social behaviour. Working in schools and youth clubs for the past 40 years I have learned the opposite, that the vast majority of young people are in fact very decent, and undoubtedly go on to be equally decent adults.
You may also want to watch:
“Our school, our community, our country has just lost one of its brightest prospects and we are all rightly shocked and depressed by it. The best comfort we can take from it is that, for however a short a time, those of us that knew Ajmol knew a very splendid young man and a fine citizen.”
A 19-year-old man has appeared at the Old Bailey charged with Ajmol’s murder and was remanded in custody until a further hearing on November 4, but police are continuing to appeal for witnesses.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End