Teenager stabbed to death in Poplar would have received top GCSEs today
- Credit: Archant
A teenager stabbed to death in the street by a gang of hoodies would have received top grades in his GCSEs today.
Ajmol Alom, a star pupil at Langdon Park School in Poplar, achieved eight As and three Bs.
The 16-year-old was knifed in the leg by the group in Poplar last week. His friend, also 16, was stabbed in the cheek, but survived the attack.
Ajmol had been considering a career in medicine, and his A grades included maths and all three sciences, which would have ensured his place on any science courses he chose to take in the Sixth Form.
His headteacher, Chris Dunne, said: “We are constantly bombarded with negative stories about young people, about their poor attitudes and anti-social behaviour. Working in schools and youth clubs for the past 40 years I have learned the opposite, that the vast majority of young people are in fact very decent, and undoubtedly go on to be equally decent adults.
You may also want to watch:
“Our school, our community, our country has just lost one of its brightest prospects and we are all rightly shocked and depressed by it. The best comfort we can take from it is that, for however a short a time, those of us that knew Ajmol knew a very splendid young man and a fine citizen.”
A 19-year-old man has appeared at the Old Bailey charged with Ajmol’s murder and was remanded in custody until a further hearing on November 4, but police are continuing to appeal for witnesses.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel