Tell London councils what they can do with their �28m!
LONDONERS are getting a say in what to do with �28 million being handed out in grants each year and where the cash should go. The cash is being dished out by London councils which hold the purse-strings to funds for the voluntary sector
LONDONERS are getting a say in what to do with �28 million being handed out in grants each year and where the cash should go.
The cash is being dished out by London Councils, the public body representing London's 33 local authorities which holds the purse-strings to one of the biggest funds for the voluntary sector.
It has begun public consultations to make sure it is meeting the needs of London's diverse population.
"There's no preconceived idea about what we want to fund," its grants committee chairman Lynne Hillan promised. "It's important people tell us how they think this money should be spent."
You may also want to watch:
Around 360 voluntary groups receive grants from London Councils in 59 'priority' areas including help for women trapped by domestic violence, steering teenagers away from growing gun crime and giving the disabled a chance to take part in sports.
A series of public consultations has been set up over the next three months to decide spending priorities for the cash being handed out from April, 2011.
The consultations are online on London Councils' website, at one of the open meetings planned from now till the end of January or writing to London Councils at 59 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0AL.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift