Terminally-ill Mile End man who wed his partner of 16 years in hospital dies
- Credit: Archant
A cancer sufferer from Mile End who married his partner of 16 years in hospital after finding out he had weeks to live has died.
Eric Meighan passed away from lung cancer on Easter Sunday – exactly a month after he wed Jane Harvey at St Bart’s Hospital on March 1.
The couple had planned to marry in Bart’s Great Hall, but Eric’s condition meant they had to change venues to a small hospital room, which was made possible by nurses and hospital staff.
Despite being in the midst of a snowstorm, the wedding was attended by Eric and Jane’s friends and family.
Eric, 65, met Jane, 52, during a bus ride home from work in November, 2001 and they lived in Bancroft Road in Mile End.
You may also want to watch:
Jane described Eric as a local celebrity – she said he was known by almost everyone in Poplar, and his kindness and compassion meant he would treat the man on the street the same way he would the Queen.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip