Tesco plans district with shops and school in Tower Hamlets
PLANS for a major new district centre in London s East End have been put forward by Tesco. The multi-million pound project by the supermarket giant is centred on and around the site of the existing Tesco superstore by the A12 Blackwall Tunnel approach in
PLANS for a major new district centre in London's East End have been put forward by Tesco.
The multi-million pound project by the supermarket giant is centred on and around the site of the existing Tesco superstore by the A12 Blackwall Tunnel approach in Bromley-by-Bow.
Under the plans the current supermarket on the site will be relocated but will remain open until the new Tesco Extra opens.
The scheme also includes 19 other shops, a primary school, park, hotel, over 400 homes, a gym, and cafes. The scheme is expected to create 200 new jobs on the land owned by Tesco.
You may also want to watch:
There also plans to upgrade bus connections between the site and the rest of Bromley-by-Bow.
If planning permission is granted Tesco will complete its new store in time for the 2012 London Olympics with construction work starting in 2010. The rest of the development will follow in stages.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 7 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus
The plans have been created to fit in with the master plan for the area by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation.