Tesco plans to develop Tower Hamlets area ahead of Olympic Games
By Else Kvist THE world s third largest retailer is about to submit a planning application for a major development including new homes, a primary school, Idea Store, hotel, and supermarket in the East E
THE world's third largest retailer is about to submit a planning application for a major development including new homes, a primary school, Idea Store, hotel, and supermarket in the East End.
Tesco has created plans for a District Centre in Bromley by Bow taking in land, partly owned by the retailer, between the River Lee and the A12 dual-carriageway Blackwall Tunnel Approach.
Under the plans the current supermarket on the site will be relocated but will remain open until the new Tesco Extra opens.
The mixed used development will also include 18 other shops, a primary school, 460 new homes, an Idea Store, a 100 bed hotel, gym and cafes. The plans have been created to fit in with master plan for the area by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation.
You may also want to watch:
A Tesco spokesman said the retailer would not be involved in running the school or Idea Store. He also said the gym would be privately run and that it was likely a hotel chain would come in to run the hotel. Deals for shops units would still have to be struck.
The development will sit on a new town centre square with a nearby park and riverside footpath.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
The aim is for the majority of the development to be completed in time for the 2012 Olympics if the plans are approved.