Tesco plans to develop Tower Hamlets area ahead of Olympic Games
By Else Kvist THE world s third largest retailer is about to submit a planning application for a major development including new homes, a primary school, Idea Store, hotel, and supermarket in the East E
THE world's third largest retailer is about to submit a planning application for a major development including new homes, a primary school, Idea Store, hotel, and supermarket in the East End.
Tesco has created plans for a District Centre in Bromley by Bow taking in land, partly owned by the retailer, between the River Lee and the A12 dual-carriageway Blackwall Tunnel Approach.
Under the plans the current supermarket on the site will be relocated but will remain open until the new Tesco Extra opens.
The mixed used development will also include 18 other shops, a primary school, 460 new homes, an Idea Store, a 100 bed hotel, gym and cafes. The plans have been created to fit in with master plan for the area by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation.
You may also want to watch:
A Tesco spokesman said the retailer would not be involved in running the school or Idea Store. He also said the gym would be privately run and that it was likely a hotel chain would come in to run the hotel. Deals for shops units would still have to be struck.
The development will sit on a new town centre square with a nearby park and riverside footpath.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
The aim is for the majority of the development to be completed in time for the 2012 Olympics if the plans are approved.