Tesco 'town' plans for Bromley-by-Bow approved
PLANNING permission for a new Tesco town at Bromley-by-Bow was granted by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation last night (Wednesday). The plans will have to be rubber stamped by Mayor of London Boris Johnson but the development, which will
PLANNING permission for a new Tesco 'town' at Bromley-by-Bow was granted by the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation last night (Wednesday).
The plans will have to be rubber stamped by Mayor of London Boris Johnson but the development, which will have 454 new homes, a new supermarket, a new district centre with 17 shops, a library, primary school, hotel, car park and a riverside park, has taken a leap towards realisation.
Tesco, which plans to demolish the existing supermarket on the site between the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Aprroach Road and the River Lea, hopes to have the new development completed in two years' time.
Michael Kissman, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, said: "The proposals have been welcomed locally because of the physical regeneration, the creation of new homes and facilities such as the Idea Store, school and riverside park and benefits such as job creation and safer connections.
"We see our work with the Development Corporation in Bromley-by-Bow as an opportunity to help and transform the local community.
"Tesco wants to offer 50 per cent of the new jobs created in our store to local people who have been unemployed for more than 6 months.
- 1 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 2 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 3 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 4 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 5 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
- 6 Aspire 'will work for everyone in Tower Hamlets' after winning majority
- 7 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 8 Night Tube services to return on Jubilee line next week
- 9 Wiley wanted after court no-show amid assault and burglary charges
- 10 12 people charged following east London drugs bust
"As well as the employment benefits we will also offer training both within the company and in partnership with local organisations.