Tessa Jowell gets grilling by London MPs on 2011 Census
TESSA Jowell is being grilled by MPs at Westminster over how Gordon Brown is coping with London’s rocketing population and its pressure on public services. The Minister for London is being cross-examined by a Select committee next Wednesday on Government readiness for the 2011 census
TESSA Jowell is being grilled by MPs at Westminster over how Gordon Brown is coping with London’s rocketing population and its pressure on public services.
The Minister for London is being cross-examined by the London Select committee at the House of Commons next Wednesday (February 24) at 3.30pm.
She gives evidence on Government readiness for the 2011 national census, particularly the Office for London, as part of a Parliamentary inquiry into preparations for an accurate count of population mobility and turnover.
The Committee is examining lessons learned from the 2001 Census on issues unique to London, such as counting immigrants and transients and under-declaration’ on census returns.
You may also want to watch:
The census data is needed to see what services the Government Office for London and the 33 London boroughs are to provide and how much Whitehall cash is going to be dolled out over the next 10 years.
This latest round of Select committee hearings into how Whitehall is squaring up for the census begins on Monday (22nd) at 2.15pm. Opening witnesses include Census director Glen Watson, Population Office director Guy Goodwin and Lewisham’s chief executive Barry Quirk.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020