TfL consultation begins on proposed River Thames crossings
Options for new river crossings in east London will be discussed in the second phase of a public consultation launched today.
Transport for London (TfL) have developed ideas for a package which could include boring a road tunnel at Silvertown and providing a new ferry route at Galleons Reach.
The proposed new tunnel would run underneath the Thames connecting the Royal Docks with the Greenwich Peninsula, relieving pressure on the existing Blackwall Tunnel.
London mayor, Boris Johnson, said the crossings had been proposed for two reasons.
He added: “To address problems that exist at the Blackwall Tunnel and with the Woolwich Ferry, and to support the real opportunity for jobs and growth in east and south east London.
You may also want to watch:
“We welcome Londoners views in helping to shape these transport options which we hope will both improve the current situation and boost future development.”
The new tunnel and ferry could be funded by introducing tolls to existing crossings, including the Blackwall Tunnel.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
TfL received 4,000 responses to the first phase of its consultation, showing the strength of feeling from drivers in east London.
Subject to planning permission, funding and other consents being granted, the earliest opening date for the proposed river crossings are 2017 for the Gallions Reach Ferry and 2021 for the Silvertown Tunnel.
The consultation closes on Friday 1 February 2013 and the public are encouraged to share their views at www.tfl.gov.uk/rivercrossings.