Thames Festival will be a trip down memory lane
ST KATHARINE Docks will be transformed into a maritime bygone era this weekend as part of the Mayor’s Thames Festival.
London’s largest outdoor free arts festival takes place this weekend with spectacular events taking place close to the water.
The festival on Saturday and Sunday is entirely focused around and on the River Thames and includes a night procession along the water, a fireworks display and carnivals and performances.
In St Katharine Docks, visitors will be able to step back in time into the Thames Revival which celebrates vintage glamour and the golden days of sailing. 50 classic boats will adorn the harbour and all things historic maritime will be the order of the day.
Organiser Ian Welsh said: “I was inspired by classic boat regattas in France and wanted to recreate the spectacle here. We have a really impressive selection of old boats in the dock from Dunkirk little ships to the sister ship of the one seen in James Bond’s Casino Royale. We also wanted to do something like the Goodward Revival but for boats instead of cars, The weekend will have a real festival feeling with music and fashion shows.”
You may also want to watch:
Guests are encouraged to dress in their favourite maritime era outfit and watch traditional wood carving and rope making displays, try oysters from a traditional stall and take part in seagull and sculling races.
The highlight is a 1930s style event onboard the ocean liner SS Atlantica with guests invited to relive the glamour of the period.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
Live bands, floor shows, cabaret acts and dancing will take partygoers back to the bygone era and golden age of cruising as they sip champagne on the deck.
For more information on all of the events, see www.thamesfestival.org