The Council announces the departure of Town Hall boss
Else Kvist AFTER weeks of silence Tower Hamlets Council has announced that its chief executive is no longer in his post. In a statement issued by the Town Hall the council claims that a fresh approach is required despite the council being awarded four
AFTER weeks of silence Tower Hamlets Council has announced that its chief executive is no longer in his post.
In a statement issued by the Town Hall the council claims that a "fresh approach" is required" despite the council being awarded four star status by government inspectors under Martin Smith. He had been in the job just two years.
Councillors discussed the details of the 'pay-off' Mr Smith will receive at the end of the cabinet meeting when the public and press were excluded. The Advertiser has learned that councillors were told Mr Smith will be paid around �400,000 from council tax payers' coffers.
You may also want to watch:
The council's statement was handed to the Advertiser after last night's cabinet meeting at the Town Hall. It came after we had gone to press with this week's newspaper edition.
The statement reads: "The communities of Tower Hamlets and future direction of the organisation now require a fresh approach to deliver the council's priorities around housing, education, tackling unemployment and creating a safer and cleaner borough for everyone.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week