The London 2012 Olympic Curry Capital festival kicks off with Brick Lane street party
Brick Lane hosted an al fresco street party on Friday as the London Curry Capital 2012 festival finally kicked off ahead of the Olympics.
The event included a cook-off between Brick Lane restaurateurs as well as an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to break the world record for the highest poppadom tower ever. Unfortunately, the poppadams came crashing down just a few inches short of the height required for the record to be smashed.
Residents came out in force to soak up the atmosphere and take in the sights and smells of Brick Lane exactly a week before the Olympics get underway.
Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman also attended before making his way to the Tower of London to welcome the Olympic torch to the city ahead of its tour of the Olympic host boroughs over the weekend.
He said: “It was wonderful to see so many people come out to enjoy the curry cook-off, live entertainment and record breaking attempt to build the world’s tallest poppadum tower.”
You may also want to watch:
The curry cook off was won by Oliur Rahman, a chef from Brick Lane’s Masala restaurant, who served up a king prawn dish from Bangladesh and a chicken curry. Mr Rahman, who lives in Commercial Road, has been a chef at Masala for five years, and said he was “very happy” to have beaten off his rivals to win the contest.
The party also included live music, and a video link allowing people to watch on a big screen as the torch arrived at the Tower of London that evening.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 5 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 6 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 7 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 8 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 9 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences