The moment the temple roof bursts into flame
SMOKE billowing across London’s East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon. East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took dramatic pictures from his fourth-floor flat before emergency crews arrived
SMOKE billowing across London's East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon.
ABOVE: East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took these pictures from his fourth-floor flat just off the Bow Road.
ABOVE: Flames tear through the roof of the two-storey sangat in Harley Grove, seen from the rear at the height of the blaze before emergency crews arrived.
BELOW: The billowing smoke engulfs neighbouring streets around Harley Grove before firefighters could put out the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Many worshippers arriving from all over London to witness the blaze were close to tears watching the flames sweep through the upper floor of the ornately decorated building.
Ten emergency crews were mobilised when the fire broke out at 2.10pm on the first floor. They used thermal-imaging cameras to search for anyone still inside the two-storey house of worship, but the building was clear.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Please email the East London Advertiser or call the Newsdesk on 020-7791 7799 if you were at the scene or took any pictures.