The moment the temple roof bursts into flame
SMOKE billowing across London’s East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon. East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took dramatic pictures from his fourth-floor flat before emergency crews arrived
SMOKE billowing across London's East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon.
ABOVE: East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took these pictures from his fourth-floor flat just off the Bow Road.
ABOVE: Flames tear through the roof of the two-storey sangat in Harley Grove, seen from the rear at the height of the blaze before emergency crews arrived.
BELOW: The billowing smoke engulfs neighbouring streets around Harley Grove before firefighters could put out the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Many worshippers arriving from all over London to witness the blaze were close to tears watching the flames sweep through the upper floor of the ornately decorated building.
Ten emergency crews were mobilised when the fire broke out at 2.10pm on the first floor. They used thermal-imaging cameras to search for anyone still inside the two-storey house of worship, but the building was clear.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
Please email the East London Advertiser or call the Newsdesk on 020-7791 7799 if you were at the scene or took any pictures.