The moment the temple roof bursts into flame
SMOKE billowing across London’s East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon. East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took dramatic pictures from his fourth-floor flat before emergency crews arrived
SMOKE billowing across London's East End brought the community out in shock when a blaze swept through the Gudwara Sikh temple in Bow this afternoon.
ABOVE: East London Advertiser reader Wenton Moore took these pictures from his fourth-floor flat just off the Bow Road.
ABOVE: Flames tear through the roof of the two-storey sangat in Harley Grove, seen from the rear at the height of the blaze before emergency crews arrived.
BELOW: The billowing smoke engulfs neighbouring streets around Harley Grove before firefighters could put out the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Many worshippers arriving from all over London to witness the blaze were close to tears watching the flames sweep through the upper floor of the ornately decorated building.
Ten emergency crews were mobilised when the fire broke out at 2.10pm on the first floor. They used thermal-imaging cameras to search for anyone still inside the two-storey house of worship, but the building was clear.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Man dies on Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
Please email the East London Advertiser or call the Newsdesk on 020-7791 7799 if you were at the scene or took any pictures.