The number of diliberate fires and hoax calls has fallen in Tower Hamlets
The number of deliberate fires in Tower Hamlets dropped from 1,079 in 2007/08 to 667 during 2008/09. One of the most frustrating jobs for firefighters is attending hoax calls and a report shows that the number of these attended by the borough s fire crew
The number of deliberate fires in Tower Hamlets dropped from 1,079 in 2007/08 to 667 during 2008/09.
One of the most frustrating jobs for firefighters is attending hoax calls and a report shows that the number of these attended by the borough's fire crews has also fallen - from 183 in 2007/08 to 164 during 2008/09. Rubbish and vehicle fires are also down on the previous year.
Over half of the more serious fires in Tower Hamlets happen in people's homes. Last year there were 305 accidental home fires in Tower Hamlets. Preventing these is a priority for firefighters. And according to the report Brigade staff completed 2,308 'home fire safety visits' during 2008/09, around 400 more than the previous year, to guide the borough's residents on how to reduce the chances of having a fire and where necessary fitting smoke alarms.
Tower Hamlets Borough Commander Bruce Epsly, said: "Seeing the numbers of deliberate, rubbish and vehicle fires decrease over the last year is encouraging, as is the news that we are visiting more residents than ever before to pass on fire safety tips. But we are not complacent. We want people to know that while we will always be there for them if a fire starts, we would much prefer to prevent fires from happening in the first place. We will continue to increase the number of home fire safety visits, as well as working with partners such as Age Concern to carry out visits on our behalf."
You may also want to watch:
Residents can find out about the work fire crews carry out in their community in 'How we are making your borough safer,' a new guide available on-line at www.london-fire.gov.uk
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney