The two Leyton Orient penalties deflated us, admits disappointed Guiseley captain Danny Lowe

Macauley Bonne celebrates after scoring from the penalty spot Leyton Orient against Guiseley (pic: S

Macauley Bonne celebrates after scoring from the penalty spot Leyton Orient against Guiseley (pic: Simon O'Connor). - Credit: Archant

The Lions were left frustrated after suffering a 4-1 National League defeat on Saturday despite taking the lead at Brisbane Road

Guiseley captain Danny Lowe admitted going away to Leyton Orient with a manager is tough enough as it is, let alone without one!

The Lions sacked gaffer Adam Lockwood and number two Dave Penney four days before the Yorkshire club were due to visit the capital.

Lowe, along with physio and UEFA B coach Martin Stringfellow, plus other respectable figures at the struggling club, were asked to prepare the team and take training in the lead up to Saturday’s match.

And to Guiseley’s credit, approaching half time it seemed like they were going to end a tough week on a high, as Kayode Odejayi’s volley in the 36th minute put them ahead at Brisbane Road.

You may also want to watch:

But David Mooney won two penalties in quick succession before the break and Macauley Bonne made no mistake to put O’s 2-1 up and they never looked back going on to record a 4-1 victory.

“First and foremost it has been a really tough week because Adam and Dave have gone and the lads are gutted,” said skipper Lowe.

Most Read

“We do understand that is football and Martin and I were asked to come in and take training and take charge at Leyton Orient.

“I would say credit to the lads because they were professional and knew we had to come here and set up a formation to take something from the game.

“To an extent we did that, but coming here with a manager, let alone without one, was going to be tough because it is a big club with a big crowd and full-time players and more recourses than at our disposal.”

After Orient started well, Guiseley appeared to have weathered the storm with half an hour played in E10 and then took the lead.

Just as it seemed O’s would go into half time trailing, Mooney’s cross was blocked by Ash Palmer’s hand and Gary Parsons somewhat harshly pointed to the spot.

If that penalty seemed soft, then the second the referee awarded before the break was even less concrete, as Mooney went down after a slight touch from Marcus Williams and Bonne made no mistake.

Lowe conceded it was tough to take, adding: “As the first half wore on we slowly got into it and started to get our foot on the ball.

“We scored a very well-worked goal and without sounding bitter and going down the route of moaning about the referee, he has absolutely killed us.

“With Ash, the ball has been pulled across and he is leaning that way anyway and his arm is right by his side, but he’s given it.

“Then the second he has not even given it. He is facing the incident and yet the linesman’s given it.

“After two penalties in quick succession, it definitely deflated the lads and coming out for the second half it was always going to be tough.

“It was always going to be an uphill task after they got their tails up from being a goal down and the third goal is a killer as well.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus