These devastating cuts to education must be stopped
Dear Ed, THE cuts which Tower Hamlets College announced to staff on June 5 will have a devastating impact on education in London’s East End in general and on women and young people in particular. These cuts must be stopped
THE cuts which Tower Hamlets College announced to staff on June 5 will have a devastating impact on education in London's East End in general and on women and young people in particular.
They come on top of the loss of as many as 11,000 student places at London Met University and the proposal to narrow the curriculum and slash support for school students at St Paul's Way Community School in Bow Common-on top of threats once again to the future of the Bethnal Green adult education centre.
Gordon Brown said you can't cut your way out of a recession. On this, if little else, he is right and yet Labour ministers appear to be just standing by while Tower Hamlets education is cut to the bone.
You may also want to watch:
I was proud to speak in support of students and staff at a demonstration outside the Tower Hamlets College in Poplar last Friday. Let me assure those who want to see educational opportunities for our young people increase rather than decline and to those who want to see lifelong learning opportunities maintained, that we will give the campaigns to stop these devastating cuts our full support. These attacks on our children and on adult education must be stopped.
Cllr Dulal Uddin (Respect)
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 9 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
Deputy Group Leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Mulberry Place, Blackwall