These devastating cuts to education must be stopped
Dear Ed, THE cuts which Tower Hamlets College announced to staff on June 5 will have a devastating impact on education in London’s East End in general and on women and young people in particular. These cuts must be stopped
THE cuts which Tower Hamlets College announced to staff on June 5 will have a devastating impact on education in London's East End in general and on women and young people in particular.
They come on top of the loss of as many as 11,000 student places at London Met University and the proposal to narrow the curriculum and slash support for school students at St Paul's Way Community School in Bow Common-on top of threats once again to the future of the Bethnal Green adult education centre.
Gordon Brown said you can't cut your way out of a recession. On this, if little else, he is right and yet Labour ministers appear to be just standing by while Tower Hamlets education is cut to the bone.
You may also want to watch:
I was proud to speak in support of students and staff at a demonstration outside the Tower Hamlets College in Poplar last Friday. Let me assure those who want to see educational opportunities for our young people increase rather than decline and to those who want to see lifelong learning opportunities maintained, that we will give the campaigns to stop these devastating cuts our full support. These attacks on our children and on adult education must be stopped.
Cllr Dulal Uddin (Respect)
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Deputy Group Leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Mulberry Place, Blackwall