Thousands of people pack into Victoria Park for BT London Live Olympic event
More than 50,000 people have visited Victoria Park for a free event featuring big screens with Olympic action and live entertainment.
Around 18,000 people turned out on Friday when Danny’s Boyle’s Olympic Opening Ceremony was beamed across the park’s three screens. A third of the tickets had been booked in advance for the BT London Live event with the rest turning up at the gate.
Project manager, Patrick Loy, said: “A lot of people started queuing around 8pm and we just about managed to get almost everyone in before the ceremony started at 9pm.
“It’s been a very good natured crowd and the park is attracting a lot of families from across London.”
The event at Victoria Park running throughout the Olympics features live music with upcoming performances from names such as Alexandra Burke, Alyssa Reid and Jazzie B and Friends.
You may also want to watch:
A 55m high Observation Wheel offers views of the Olympic Park, while visitors can have a go at sports such as fencing and badminton.
Mr Loy said: “We’ve had delays in getting the zip-line, a 300metre wire that allows you to fly through the air from a tower, up and running because of delays in putting it together and testing it. But we hope to get it working soon.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 9 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 10 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
London Mayor Boris Johnson will be visiting the park’s sport court today at 12.30pm.