Thousands of people pack into Victoria Park for BT London Live Olympic event
More than 50,000 people have visited Victoria Park for a free event featuring big screens with Olympic action and live entertainment.
Around 18,000 people turned out on Friday when Danny’s Boyle’s Olympic Opening Ceremony was beamed across the park’s three screens. A third of the tickets had been booked in advance for the BT London Live event with the rest turning up at the gate.
Project manager, Patrick Loy, said: “A lot of people started queuing around 8pm and we just about managed to get almost everyone in before the ceremony started at 9pm.
“It’s been a very good natured crowd and the park is attracting a lot of families from across London.”
The event at Victoria Park running throughout the Olympics features live music with upcoming performances from names such as Alexandra Burke, Alyssa Reid and Jazzie B and Friends.
You may also want to watch:
A 55m high Observation Wheel offers views of the Olympic Park, while visitors can have a go at sports such as fencing and badminton.
Mr Loy said: “We’ve had delays in getting the zip-line, a 300metre wire that allows you to fly through the air from a tower, up and running because of delays in putting it together and testing it. But we hope to get it working soon.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
London Mayor Boris Johnson will be visiting the park’s sport court today at 12.30pm.