Thousands watch Cycle champs at Canary Wharf in Pearl Izumi Tour
- Credit: Archant
Cycling fans saw some of Britain’s top riders in action speeding through Canary Wharf for the Pearl Izumi Tour Series.
Thousands turned up to watch Round Eight in the series last Thursday, the fourth time this year that the business district has played host in the prestigious cycle calendar.
Among the riders were double Olympic Champ Ed Clancy, who has already won victory in two rounds, and Olympic Silver medallist Ross Edgar.
Team UK Youth, backed by Formula One World Champion Nigel Mansell, lead the way following Round Seven in Redditch, heading Team Raleigh by five points at the top of the list.
Metaltek Knights of Old rode into Canary Wharf buoyed by their first-ever team victory in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Top Canary Wharf businesses were also in action in the Corporate Grand Prix, staged as part of Thursday’s events, with 13 teams including Barclays, Clifford Chance and Thomson Reuters. Each corporate rider had a professional partner from the tour series.
The Canary Wharf circuit is one of the fastest on the Tour Series, which is followed tomorrow by Round Nine at Woking. Round 10 is on Thursday at Aylsham in Norfolk and Round 11 on Friday at Ipswich.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week