Three guilty of horror acid attack in East London street
THIS is the horrifying image released tonight by Scotland Yard of 24-year-old Awais Akram, who was attacked in East London in the street, beaten to the ground, stabbed and doused with acid
ABOVE: THIS is the horrifying image released tonight by Scotland Yard of 24-year-old Awais Akram, who was attacked in East London, beaten to the ground, stabbed and doused with acid, and (inset) Awais before the attack...
BELOW: THE two thugs convicted at the Old Bailey today of conspiracy with a 16-year-old to carry out the 'revenge' attack. Mohammed Vakas, 26 (pictured left), was found guilty of conspiracy to murder. Mohammed Adeel, 20, was found guilty of conspiracy to cause GBH...
AWAIS Akram suffered 47 per cent burns to the head, neck, chest, stomach, arms and back.
He also had facial fractures, eye injuries and stab wounds.
You may also want to watch:
Awais has undergone several operations and continues to require treatment, 10 months after the attack last summer in Leyton.
The attack was fuelled by his relationship with Sadia Khatoon, a married woman who he met online through Facebook in April last year.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
Mrs Khatoon, then aged 23, helped him find a flat in Leytonstone when he arrived in East London. But their relationship became known to her family, including her husband Shakeel Abassi.
A plot was formed to carry out a 'revenge' attack, involving Mrs Khatoon's brother Mohammed Vakas and cousin Mohammed Adeel who recruited a 16-year-old youth.
Mr Akram was beaten to the ground, stabbed and then doused with sulphuric acid. He was left in agony, to get help from nearby householders who heard his screams.
Det Chief Ins Nigel Furness said after today's trial: "Awais is to be commended for his bravery in giving evidence, following a brutal attack which has left him severely disfigured for life.
"No words can describe the amount of courage it took to stand in court, face his attackers and give his account."
Vakas, from Walthamstow, was convicted of conspiracy to murder. Adeel, 20, also from Walthamstow, was convicted of conspiracy to commit GBH, along with the 16-year-old from Camden, who is now 17. All three are being sentenced at noon tomorrow (May 11) .