Tobacco Dock reopening with ‘igloo bubbles’ to keep skylight revellers safe in Covid emergency
- Credit: Kapranos PR
An “igloo village” is being set up on a rooftop in the London Docks ready for when Lockdown finishes for people to go out literally “on the town” and still keep social distance.
But the annual skaters’ rink at Wapping’s Tobacco Dock has had to be put on ice, as it were, because of latest Covid restrictions.
Diners and drinkers are being given their own ‘bubble’ with their companions when Skyline reopens next Thursday, December 3.
The igloo bubbles comply with social distance regulations on the rooftop and at ground level in the Grade-1 listed warehouses and cobbled lanes that have an extra 50,000sq ft of “social distance” space for the current Tier 2 restrictions.
The venue now has Covid-safe accreditations, with social distance made compulsory while still creating a buzzy Yuletide atmosphere.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been adapting since July with rigorous Covid-secure practices,” its events director Scott McVittie said. “We’re fortunate to have outdoor space and a Grade-I listed heritage building.”
The igloo village is at Skylight Rooftop with its views across the City, each warmed with mini-heaters, faux-fur rugs and thick blankets.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
The cocktail cinema is showing back-to-back classic Christmas movies including Home Alone 1 and 2, Bad Santa, A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas, Die Hard and Bridget Jones’ Diary.
There are cocktails on ice—but not those drinking them, as the skaters’ rink won’t be opening during the emergency because of latest government regulations.