Tony Cottee column: A point at Chelsea will be fantastic for West Ham
Any point from either this Saturday’s match against Chelsea or at Manchester City the week after will be a bonus, but in reality I fully expect us to be bottom and more than three points from safety with three games to go.
It’s the worst place to be and it would mean maximum points from our final three matches against Blackburn, Wigan and Sunderland which will undoubtedly be a tough task.
Saturday’s opponents Chelsea won’t win anything this season, but they still have a sensational squad full of talent and I believe boss Avram Grant will set out a defensive formation.
Of course Fernando Torres has struggled since joining in the January transfer window from Liverpool, but they can still hurt you from anywhere on the pitch.
I would play a 4-5-1 formation and leave Carlton Cole up front as the lone striker. West Ham must try to stifle their attacking play and I believe the midfield runs of Frank Lampard and Michael Essien must be tracked.
You may also want to watch:
However a point for West Ham is not out of the question, because they are not the Chelsea of old and some positive play going forward with a solid defensive performance could give us a chance.
Their strength lies in their defence and a lack of goals has been their weakness and I believe that weakness will end up costing Carlo Ancelotti his job at Stamford Bridge and lets hope a crucial point on Saturday will contribute towards that.
- 1 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking