Tony Cottee Column: Hammers legend previews Blackburn v West Ham
It’s going to be a physical game in Lancashire
JUST like Stoke earlier in the season, playing Blackburn is a game where players must stand up and be counted.
There is no doubt the match at Ewood Park this Saturday will be a physical battle and it is up to us to match them in that department throughout the 90 minutes.
Defensively Blackburn are pretty imposing with Ryan Nelsen and Chris Samba at centre half, so I feel the game could be decided in the midfield.
David Dunn could play there as could Morten Gamst Pedersen or Phil Jones and if, as expected Scott Parker and Jonathan Spector are the two paired in the middle for the Hammers, it is an area where we could gain the upper hand.
You may also want to watch:
We must get it right tactically and for me it is vital we do all we can to limit the supply to El Hadji Diouf and stop crosses getting into the box.
James Tomkins, who has been playing very well of late and centre half partner Matthew Upson must remain strong as they will be in a battle up against Jason Roberts.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
West Ham have only kept two clean sheets in the league this season something that defensive coach Wally Downes will be keen to rectify.
I think its time we learnt from George Graham at Arsenal. We have an excellent goalkeeper and solid defenders. Let’s keep clean sheets and if necessary draw 0-0 at Blackburn this Saturday.
It wouldn’t be a bad result.
For all the latest West Ham news, plus regular updates and a match report on the final whistle from the match at Ewood Park follow us on twitter. www.twitter.com/ela_hammers