Tony Cottee Column: Hammers legend previews Blackburn v West Ham
It’s going to be a physical game in Lancashire
JUST like Stoke earlier in the season, playing Blackburn is a game where players must stand up and be counted.
There is no doubt the match at Ewood Park this Saturday will be a physical battle and it is up to us to match them in that department throughout the 90 minutes.
Defensively Blackburn are pretty imposing with Ryan Nelsen and Chris Samba at centre half, so I feel the game could be decided in the midfield.
David Dunn could play there as could Morten Gamst Pedersen or Phil Jones and if, as expected Scott Parker and Jonathan Spector are the two paired in the middle for the Hammers, it is an area where we could gain the upper hand.
You may also want to watch:
We must get it right tactically and for me it is vital we do all we can to limit the supply to El Hadji Diouf and stop crosses getting into the box.
James Tomkins, who has been playing very well of late and centre half partner Matthew Upson must remain strong as they will be in a battle up against Jason Roberts.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
West Ham have only kept two clean sheets in the league this season something that defensive coach Wally Downes will be keen to rectify.
I think its time we learnt from George Graham at Arsenal. We have an excellent goalkeeper and solid defenders. Let’s keep clean sheets and if necessary draw 0-0 at Blackburn this Saturday.
It wouldn’t be a bad result.
For all the latest West Ham news, plus regular updates and a match report on the final whistle from the match at Ewood Park follow us on twitter. www.twitter.com/ela_hammers