Tony Cottee Column: I knew my former boss O’Neill would not join West Ham
Leaked reports put end to his interest
AS soon as the news was leaked on Saturday morning saying West Ham were in for Martin O’Neill I knew he would not be joining as manager.
I played under Martin for three years at Leicester and know the type of person he is. Being linked to a job which is already filled by a fellow manager is the last thing he would want to read.
It’s a missed opportunity for West Ham. He is a great motivator of players, very passionate and an overall brilliant manager.
There is no doubt we went about things the wrong way and the whole situation has been badly managed and been a PR disaster.
If you are not happy sack the manager and then bring someone in, but we didn’t and ended up being in no mans land and it is something we have to learn from.
There is someone in that board room who has leaked this information and should hang their head in shame.
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 7 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
We need to go back to the old days when West Ham was a closed shop
I have said from the start I don’t believe Avram Grant is the right man to be in charge of the club, but you must feel sorry for him, because he has faced the media and been put under a lot of pressure when he shouldn’t have.
I believe under Grant we are only going in one direction and I am very concerned we won’t be able to get out of this mess we are in.
Tony Cottee was talking to Matt Diner
Forn all the latest West Ham news, views, analysis and interviews follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_hammers