Tony Cottee Column: West Ham should consult fans over Olympic Stadium
“It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not”
IT’s good West Ham are set to be awarded the Olympic Stadium especially after it ended up being between us or Tottenham.
A lot of people at the Hammers have put in a lot of time and effort to make sure everything went to plan, but in reality the easy part has been done and the hard work begins now.
It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not.
Now is the time for the owners to talk to the fans over their plans of what to do with the Olympic Stadium and it is vital they take their concerns on board.
You may also want to watch:
From a transport of view of course a move to Stratford is in the clubs best interests, because the links are so good from there, while the opposite can be said for getting to the Boleyn at the minute.
For a long time I have been concerned that young supporters who want to go and watch matches are being priced out of the game and moving into a 60,000 arena will help.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
You can charge cheaper tickets for youngsters, with kids for a quid and other initiatives.
There are a lot of people who don’t believe West Ham can fill the stadium, but I think that is utter nonsense and if the club are successful 60,000 won’t be enough.
I do feel for Orient and everything must be done to make sure lower league clubs are protected.
I would like to see West Ham sit down with Barry Hearn and Daniel Levy and try to address the fears they each have.