Tony Cottee Column: West Ham should consult fans over Olympic Stadium
“It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not”
IT’s good West Ham are set to be awarded the Olympic Stadium especially after it ended up being between us or Tottenham.
A lot of people at the Hammers have put in a lot of time and effort to make sure everything went to plan, but in reality the easy part has been done and the hard work begins now.
It will be hard to convince myself and other West Ham fans that a running track will work in a football stadium, seats over the track or not.
Now is the time for the owners to talk to the fans over their plans of what to do with the Olympic Stadium and it is vital they take their concerns on board.
You may also want to watch:
From a transport of view of course a move to Stratford is in the clubs best interests, because the links are so good from there, while the opposite can be said for getting to the Boleyn at the minute.
For a long time I have been concerned that young supporters who want to go and watch matches are being priced out of the game and moving into a 60,000 arena will help.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
You can charge cheaper tickets for youngsters, with kids for a quid and other initiatives.
There are a lot of people who don’t believe West Ham can fill the stadium, but I think that is utter nonsense and if the club are successful 60,000 won’t be enough.
I do feel for Orient and everything must be done to make sure lower league clubs are protected.
I would like to see West Ham sit down with Barry Hearn and Daniel Levy and try to address the fears they each have.