Tony Cottee Column: Wolves game is huge for Grant and West Ham
A VICTORY against Wolves on Saturday will go a long way in helping Avram Grant keep his job at Upton Park.
It’s a massive game for both clubs and a win for the Hammers could see them leave the relegation zone as well as open up a gap between themselves and their opponents.
Mick McCarthy like Grant is under pressure to get something from the game and they are in the middle of a difficult spell at the moment.
Results have been disappointing for Wolves but for McCarthy to be under pressure is ridiculous.
He has taken the club up, did well last year and just needs people to be patient at the moment.
You may also want to watch:
Getting rid of him would be crazy, but after what has happened to Chris Hughton and Sam Allardyce I suppose anything is possible nowadays in football.
West Ham’s home form has not been good enough this season and a win on Saturday will go a long way to keeping the Hammers in the league as we must beat the teams around us, while we know a defeat would be disasterous for the club.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
Wolves played us off the park in east London last year, winning 3-1, but I am confident history won’t repeat itself.
West Ham are unbeaten over the festive period and I would expect that run to continue.
With tough matches at Newcastle and at home to Arsenal not far off a positive result is much-needed for relegation-threatened Hammers.
For live updates from todays game at Upton Park as well as a match report on the final whistle follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_hammers