Tony Cottee Column: Wolves game is huge for Grant and West Ham
A VICTORY against Wolves on Saturday will go a long way in helping Avram Grant keep his job at Upton Park.
It’s a massive game for both clubs and a win for the Hammers could see them leave the relegation zone as well as open up a gap between themselves and their opponents.
Mick McCarthy like Grant is under pressure to get something from the game and they are in the middle of a difficult spell at the moment.
Results have been disappointing for Wolves but for McCarthy to be under pressure is ridiculous.
He has taken the club up, did well last year and just needs people to be patient at the moment.
Getting rid of him would be crazy, but after what has happened to Chris Hughton and Sam Allardyce I suppose anything is possible nowadays in football.
West Ham’s home form has not been good enough this season and a win on Saturday will go a long way to keeping the Hammers in the league as we must beat the teams around us, while we know a defeat would be disasterous for the club.
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 7 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
Wolves played us off the park in east London last year, winning 3-1, but I am confident history won’t repeat itself.
West Ham are unbeaten over the festive period and I would expect that run to continue.
With tough matches at Newcastle and at home to Arsenal not far off a positive result is much-needed for relegation-threatened Hammers.
For live updates from todays game at Upton Park as well as a match report on the final whistle follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_hammers