Tony Cottee: The manner in which West Ham sacked Grant was disgraceful
To sack him in the tunnel after the game is not the West Ham way
West Ham legend Tony Cottee has hit out at the West Ham board over the way they sacked Avram Grant.
The Israeli was relieved of his duties as manager by co-owner David Sullivan immediately after the 3-2 defeat by Wigan at the DW Stadium.
Sullivan apparently met the former boss in the tunnel straight after the match and took him into a room before breaking the news that his services were no longer required by the club.
The timing of the incident fumed Cottee, who believes the club should have acted in a far more dignified manner.
You may also want to watch:
“The way West Ham got rid of Avram Grant after our relegation to the Championship was disgraceful,” he said.
“Of course Avram Grant had to go, but to do it in the tunnel immediately after the game showed a complete lack of class.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
“This is a club, who had managerial greats such as Ron Greenwood and John Lyall and for the club to get rid of Grant in this way is really poor.”
It was a sad end to a dreadful campaign for the Israeli at Upton Park and Cottee pulled no punches when assessing his tenure after the Wigan defeat.
“It was a game which summed up our season and once again proved Avram Grant was out of his depth,” he said.
“He didn’t know his best team and was tactically na�ve.”
For all the latest West Ham news, views and anlaysis follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_westham