Tony Cottee: The West Ham manager’s job is a poisened chalice
Cottee unsure of who would want Hammers job
Tony Cottee believes Martin O’Neill is the right man to succeed Avram Grant as the next manager of West Ham.
Cottee who scored 116 goals in two spells for the club played under O’Neill at Leicester and believes he has all the right attributes to lead the club to success.
“There is only one choice and that is Martin O’Neill,” Cottee said.
“I played under him for three years at Leicester and I would love to see him in charge. He is a great tactician and is excellent at motivating players.”
You may also want to watch:
Cottee is however negative about the chances of it happening and believes the conduct of the current owners David Gold and David Sullivan could put off potential managers.
“The job is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment,” he said.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
“Word spreads about people who run a club conduct themselves and the word about West Ham is not good at the moment.
“It is going to be difficult to entice the right person to the club. We need someone with a very strong character. Someone like Neil Warnock or Martin Allen, who will go in and sort the squad out from top to bottom.
“The squad needs a complete overhaul and we have a great chance to restructure.”
For all the latest West Ham news, views, analysis and interviews follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_westham