Top cops awarded at Tower of London ceremony
THE East End s top cops were honoured for their bravery and dedication at an award ceremony in the Tower of London last week. More than 40 police constables, sergeants, inspectors and community support officers, as well as two members of the public, recei
THE East End's top cops were honoured for their bravery and dedication at an award ceremony in the Tower of London last week.
More than 40 police constables, sergeants, inspectors and community support officers, as well as two members of the public, received commendations from Tower Hamlets' borough commander on Friday.
Officers were praised for tackling dangerous career criminals and sex offenders or for going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure investigations were carried out thoroughly and criminals were brought before the courts.
After he had heard all 42 officers' stories Tower Hamlets police's borough commander Chief Supt Paul Rickett said: "I started off this commendation ceremony saying that I was proud to lead a borough like Tower Hamlets.
You may also want to watch:
"After hearing all that, I'm humbled to lead it. Everyone commended has done an exceptional job in protecting the public."
The ceremony was attended by Tower Hamlets council's deputy mayor Cllr Lutfa Begum, as well as London Assembly member John Biggs.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
Tower Hamlets police's robbery task force was commended for reducing robbery by more than 28 per cent in the year 2007-07 and the burglary squad was commended for its work ensuring the East End had the biggest reduction in burglary in the whole of the UK over 2008-09.