Topping up your Oyster from your smartphone? There’s an app for that
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Soon, you’ll be able to top up your Oyster card wherever you are, using your smartphone.
The days of queuing up at the ticket machine after you see that red light will be over when a new TfL app launches.
The free app, which will be free and available for iPhone and Android devices will let you check your Oyster credit, top up, buy travelcards, and, handily, give you a “low balance” alert so you can avoid that awkward moment at the gates.
Already, the system has been changed so that you no longer have to nominate a particular station to “collect” your credit when you top up online.
Instead you can get your credit or travelcard by touching in at any Tube or Rail station – cutting down the collection time from up to 24 hours to just half an hour.
You may also want to watch:
You will need an Oyster online account, which you can sign up for at oyster.tfl.gov.uk
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 6 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids