Torture kidnap gang locked up for 34 years
SIX members of a vicious gang who kidnapped and tortured Mohsin Patel in East London for �70,000 ransom have been jailed for a total of 34 years. The 26-year-old mobile phone store boss in London’s Canary Wharf had just arrived home from work when he was abducted on his doorstep
SIX members of a vicious gang who kidnapped and tortured mobile phone store boss Mohsin Patel in East London for �70,000 ransom have been jailed for a total of 34 years.
The 26-year-old assistant manager at Carphone Warehouse in London’s Canary Wharf had just arrived home from work when he was abducted on the doorstep of his house in Plaistow just three miles away.
He was driven to a hideout where he went through a 23-hour ordeal blindfolded, burned with hot knives and whipped with a belt.
He was even being tortured while he was made to call his brother for the ransom. His brother could hear his screams.
You may also want to watch:
Police eventually traced the hide-out to a first-floor flat in Ilford’s Huneysuckle Court where they blew the doors off with explosives and busted in.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 10 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
Gang leader Andrew Boateng, 21, was jailed eight years when he appeared at Southwark crown court for sentencing yesterday (Monday).
His two right-hand men were also locked up, Yaw Darko-Kwakye, 25, for six-and-a-half years and Mohammed Nawaz, also 25, for six years.
Douglas Poko, 22, who allowed his flat to be used, was caged for five-and-a-half years. Benjamin Boakye, 19, and Adnan Kyani, 20, were each given four years’ in a young person’s institution.
Det Con Anthony Stevens said today: “The hostage and his family were subjected to a terrifying and lengthy ordeal over 23 hours.
“This kidnap was clearly a planned event on a completely innocent victim.
“But kidnapping strangers, thankfully, is rare in the UK.”
Four of the gang had cased’ Mohsin’s house a week before the kidnapping, then lay in wait for him to arrive home one evening in April last year.
Gang members tried to escape from a first-floor window when cops eventually busted their way into the hideout.
But police were waiting for them outside.