Tory alternative budget barred from Labour council paper’
THE Tory opposition at Tower Hamlets in East London has complained of not being allowed to publish their alternative budget in the council's freesheet newspaper. Deputy group leader Tim Archer said the ruling Labour party at the Town Hall got comprehensive coverage of their budget in the freesheet
THE TORY opposition at the Town Hall has complained of not being allowed to publish their alternative budget in the council's newspaper.
Deputy leader for the Conservative group, Tim Archer, said the ruling Labour party at Tower Hamlets received comprehensive coverage of their budget proposals in East End Life.
Cllr Archer said he was told that a distinction was drawn under a local government act between covering proposals by the elected cabinet and that of a political party. He was told this was because the cabinet represented the political will.
Mr Archer said: "I think it would be fitting for a ratepayer funded newspaper to also consider giving coverage to the official opposition's proposals for the budget, seeing as we too represent the democratic will?"
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Archer estimates that East End Life costs the average council tax payer �10 a year.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Disgraceful management of the pandemic