Tory candidate arrested after scrap with John Prescott
A TORY candidate was arrested after scrapping with John Prescott during a visit to the East End. The former Deputy Prime Minister had to abandon his walkabout in Chrisp Street Market when he was confronted by three men, believed to be members of the Tow
A TORY candidate was arrested after scrapping with John Prescott during a visit to the East End.
The former Deputy Prime Minister had to abandon his walkabout in Chrisp Street Market when he was confronted by three men, believed to be members of the Tower Hamlets Conservatives.
They were holding signs referring to Prescott's infamous 'Two Jags' nickname as they tried to push their way through the crowd of 50 Labour supporters, including Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick.
But as a Labour activist snatched a sign from Tory India and Lansbury candidate Martin Coxall, a confrontation ensued and a woman fell to the ground.
You may also want to watch:
Police arrived and confirmed after the incident they had arrested Mr Coxall but would not confirm the offence.
Prescott had to continue his speech in the Labour party office in Market Lane.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
He later told the Advertiser: "It is terrible that it happened.
"But this is the sort of thing that is creeping into politics now. This is what happens when people are determined to make trouble.
"I went to sea for 10 years so I am not bothered by anything like this.