Tory candidate arrested after scrap with John Prescott
A TORY candidate was arrested after scrapping with John Prescott during a visit to the East End. The former Deputy Prime Minister had to abandon his walkabout in Chrisp Street Market when he was confronted by three men, believed to be members of the Tow
A TORY candidate was arrested after scrapping with John Prescott during a visit to the East End.
The former Deputy Prime Minister had to abandon his walkabout in Chrisp Street Market when he was confronted by three men, believed to be members of the Tower Hamlets Conservatives.
They were holding signs referring to Prescott's infamous 'Two Jags' nickname as they tried to push their way through the crowd of 50 Labour supporters, including Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick.
But as a Labour activist snatched a sign from Tory India and Lansbury candidate Martin Coxall, a confrontation ensued and a woman fell to the ground.
You may also want to watch:
Police arrived and confirmed after the incident they had arrested Mr Coxall but would not confirm the offence.
Prescott had to continue his speech in the Labour party office in Market Lane.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 5 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 6 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 10 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
He later told the Advertiser: "It is terrible that it happened.
"But this is the sort of thing that is creeping into politics now. This is what happens when people are determined to make trouble.
"I went to sea for 10 years so I am not bothered by anything like this.