Tower execution site gets heritage seal of approval
AN HISTORIC green opposite the Tower of London where many a king and queen would have had their head lobbed off has won a national Heritage award. Trinity Square Gardens, on the site of the ancient Tower Hill execution scaffold, received the Green Flag’ accolade from Keep Britain Tidy’ as one of the best kept patches of green in the country
AN HISTORIC green opposite the Tower of London where many a king and queen would have had their head lobbed off has won a national Heritage award.
Trinity Square Gardens, on the site of the ancient Tower Hill execution scaffold (pictured with City workers basking on a warm summer's lunchtime), received the 'Green Flag' accolade yesterday from 'Keep Britain Tidy' as one of the best kept patches of green in the country.
The gardens have a memorial to those executed down the centuries, as well as a memorial to the Merchant Seamen who died in both world wars.
They are managed jointly by Tower Hamlets Council, the Corporation of London and the War Graves Commission.
Trinity Gardens, created by Act of Parliament in 1797 and restored in 2003, were among a collection of parkland awards picked up by Tower Hamlets giving them a prestigious national mark of 'excellence.'
The parklands included Mile End Park, Bethnal Green's Weavers Fields, Shadwell's King Edward VII Park, Millwall Park and Island Gardens on the Isle of Dogs.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 7 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London