Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park gets environmental award
THE capital’s innermost patch of woodland has been commended at the London Tree and Woodland Awards.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park was named this year’s most innovative project demonstrating significant environmental benefits at the awards last Thursday.
The prestigious awards aim to celebrate and recognise committed individuals and groups, who work to improve the value of trees and woodlands in London.
Park liaison officer Kenneth Greenway said the gong was due to the hard work of The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, a charity responsible for the care and management of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park in Southern Grove, Mile End and Ackroyd Drive Greenlink.
The Friends manage the Park across three broad themes of wildlife, people and education, while preserving the historic graves in with Tower Hamlets Council.
You may also want to watch:
The group’s work is carried out entirely by volunteers.
Mr Greenway said: “We all work hard to make the Cemetery Park a showcase for managing urban green space for wildlife, people and education.”
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
The friends run an extensive events programme of over 130 public walks and volunteering activities, which are offered free of charge and open to all. Walk themes include, butterflies, food for free, bats, moths and wildflowers, to name but a few.
For further information on the park, and the work of The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery park, contact Kenneth Greenway on 07904 186 981 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Graeme Shimmin at email@example.com