Tower Hamlets College cricketer perfects his spin bowling at Lord's
A BUDDING cricketer was getting tips from professionals during a visit to Lord s. Mehdi Abbas, captain of Tower Hamlets College Cricket Club, was invited to the cricket ground to meet former England player John Emburey as part of the Marylebone Cricket
A BUDDING cricketer was getting tips from professionals during a visit to Lord's.
Mehdi Abbas, captain of Tower Hamlets College Cricket Club, was invited to the cricket ground to meet former England player John Emburey as part of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) Schools Coaching Seminar.
The 17-year-old student at the college in Poplar was given tips on spin bowling from the expert spinner and also learnt some new skills from MCC head coach and former England international player Mark Alleyne.
Mehdi who lives in Whitechapel said: "I had been to Lord's to watch a Test match before but never to train and play myself so it was pretty special.
You may also want to watch:
"It is a really inspirational venue with so much history and to have the chance to get some tips from two guys who played at the top level should really improve my game."
The Tower Hamlets College's Cricket Club will be competing in the Victoria Park Community League for the first time this season.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant