Tower Hamlets college lecturers strike this-morning over cuts
HUNDREDS of college lecturers begin their indefinite strike in East London this-morning. They start picketing Tower Hamlets college campuses in Poplar, Stepney and Bethnal Green from 7.30am
HUNDREDS of college lecturers begin their indefinite strike in East London this-morning (Thurs).
They start picketing Tower Hamlets college campuses in Poplar, Stepney and Bethnal Green from 7.30am.
It follows the breakdown of yesterday’s talks with the college after four hours over scrapping 13 posts which the UCU lecturers’ union says will mean cuts to adult English classes for speakers of foreign languages in one of Britain’s poorest areas.
The strike has been targeted to coincide with the first day of enrolment at the college.
You may also want to watch:
Funding cuts mean around 1,000 places on the language courses are at risk, with 13 lecturers facing losing their jobs and many thousands of people in Tower Hamlets losing the chance to learn English.
Around 2,000 students were due to enrol in the language courses by next week.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
The Government’s Learning & Skills Council has reduced the overall college funding by almost �1 million over the last three years.
The pickets are outside the main college building in Poplar High Street as well as Arbour Square in Stepney and at Bethnal Green.