Tower Hamlets college lecturers strike this-morning over cuts
HUNDREDS of college lecturers begin their indefinite strike in East London this-morning. They start picketing Tower Hamlets college campuses in Poplar, Stepney and Bethnal Green from 7.30am
HUNDREDS of college lecturers begin their indefinite strike in East London this-morning (Thurs).
They start picketing Tower Hamlets college campuses in Poplar, Stepney and Bethnal Green from 7.30am.
It follows the breakdown of yesterday’s talks with the college after four hours over scrapping 13 posts which the UCU lecturers’ union says will mean cuts to adult English classes for speakers of foreign languages in one of Britain’s poorest areas.
The strike has been targeted to coincide with the first day of enrolment at the college.
You may also want to watch:
Funding cuts mean around 1,000 places on the language courses are at risk, with 13 lecturers facing losing their jobs and many thousands of people in Tower Hamlets losing the chance to learn English.
Around 2,000 students were due to enrol in the language courses by next week.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
The Government’s Learning & Skills Council has reduced the overall college funding by almost �1 million over the last three years.
The pickets are outside the main college building in Poplar High Street as well as Arbour Square in Stepney and at Bethnal Green.