Tower Hamlets College to gets its first cricket team in 15 years
BUDDING cricket players at an East End college could be on their way to scoring a winning run thanks to a �1,500 sports grant. For the first time in 15 years Tower Hamlets College in Poplar is planning to have its own cricket team after being awarded th
BUDDING cricket players at an East End college could be on their way to scoring a winning run thanks to a �1,500 sports grant.
For the first time in 15 years Tower Hamlets College in Poplar is planning to have its own cricket team after being awarded the cash as part of the Play Sport London initiative.
The grant will help the college create a Cricket Academy with the money paying for a new kit and weekly coaching sessions with qualified coaches during the winter months.
The team will then join the Victoria Park Community Cricket League in spring.
You may also want to watch:
The college's sport co-ordinator Daniel Searle said. "This college hasn't had a cricket team to speak of for 15 years but I know we have some good players who will only get better when given professional coaching and the opportunity to play competitive league cricket."
The London Mayor's Play Sport London initiative was set up to support sports clubs and community groups in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Man dies on Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking