Tower Hamlets Conservative candidate suspended over election arrest
PUBLISHED: 07:00 16 May 2014 | UPDATED: 16:32 20 May 2014
A Conservative Party candidate in next week's elections has been suspended by the party after being arrested over allegations of making false declarations.
The candidate was arrested yesterday on suspicion of an offence under the 1983 Representation of the People Act, and later bailed until late June.
The Met police said its Homicide and Major Crime Command received “allegations relating to potential false declarations on nomination papers for the local elections”.
The Tower Hamlets Conservative Group quickly released a statement saying the 38-year-old man had been suspended from the party, but will still feature on the ballot papers on May 22.
It said: “In accordance with Conservative Party rules, [the candidate] has been suspended from the party until the police conclude their enquiries, and party activists will not be campaigning on his behalf until such time.
“The candidate’s nomination has been accepted by the council, and as yet no wrongdoing has been identified, and he will appear on ballot papers.
It added: “He did not indicate, when applying to be a candidate at this election, that there was any reason why he could not be validly nominated.”