Tower Hamlets named as one of the least eco-friendly boroughs in London
- Credit: LBTH
Tower Hamlets is one of the least eco-friendly local authorities in London, figures reveal.
The borough was ranked third from bottom in a “greenness” table by cleaners London Cleaning System.
Tower Hamlets recorded a low average across a range of environmental factors, which covered topics including green spaces and household waste recycling.
Grass, shrubs and trees cover about a tenth (11.7 per cent) of total land area, beaten only by Islington (10.4pc) and the City of London (3pc).
The borough did, however, report the best energy efficiency rating in the capital, but joined Lambeth, City of Westminster and Islington as the least green areas overall.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council said it “could do better” to increase its renewable energy capacity and was working to improve environmental areas such as green spaces, air pollution and recycling.
- 1 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt