Tower Hamlets councillor apologises for blocking residents into Poplar car park
A Tower Hamlets councillor has apologised to residents after blocking them into their car park in Poplar for three hours on Saturday evening.
Residents at Birchfeld estate say about 20 people gathered in the car park on Pinefield Close after they were unable to get their cars out after Labour councillor Rajib Ahmed parked a mini cab in front of the gates to the parking enclosure.
They say the East India and Lansbury councillor, who is also a self employed cab driver, blocked their entrance from around 7pm to 22pm when the police attended.
It is understood a resident who needed to get to the hospital to see her sick mother ended up phoning the police.
Another resident, Maria Wall, said: “My sister was visiting from Essex and could not get home with her son who needed his medication for severe allergies.
You may also want to watch:
“He (Ahmed) should know better as a driver and as a councillor who we have voted in.”
Councillor Ahmed this morning told the Advertiser: “I apologised to residents. It was a great mistake and I’m really ashamed. I was parked on a continuous yellow line and the gates were closed, and I didn’t realise it was the car park entrance.”
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Tackling Covid blamed for yet more threats to public services
- 3 Windows smashed in Extinction Rebellion protest at Canary Wharf bank HQ
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 9 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 10 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting