Tower Hamlets councillors visit revamped leisure centre in Shadwell
Tower Hamlets councillors were this week given a tour of a leisure centre which has been given a �800,000 revamp.
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell underwent major interior and exterior repair works
after a structural survey highlighted that the swimming pool was nearing the end of its operational life. New windows and pool plant systems were also installed, and the reception area upgraded.
During their tour the councillors meet school children from nearby St Paul’s Primary School who put on a gymnastics display. They also watched youngsters from Harry Gosling School Primary School in Whitechapel trying out water polo in the restored pool.
The make over was funded by Tower Hamlets Council and leisure partner Better.
You may also want to watch:
With the support of the Amateur Swimming Association the council has also replaced the diving boards, allowing the centre to develop a diving programme.
- 1 Tackling Covid blamed for yet more threats to public services
- 2 Windows smashed in Extinction Rebellion protest at Canary Wharf bank HQ
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 5 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 6 Nine women charged following Canary Wharf protest
- 7 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 8 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 9 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion