Tower Hamlets councillors visit revamped leisure centre in Shadwell
Tower Hamlets councillors were this week given a tour of a leisure centre which has been given a �800,000 revamp.
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell underwent major interior and exterior repair works
after a structural survey highlighted that the swimming pool was nearing the end of its operational life. New windows and pool plant systems were also installed, and the reception area upgraded.
During their tour the councillors meet school children from nearby St Paul’s Primary School who put on a gymnastics display. They also watched youngsters from Harry Gosling School Primary School in Whitechapel trying out water polo in the restored pool.
The make over was funded by Tower Hamlets Council and leisure partner Better.
You may also want to watch:
With the support of the Amateur Swimming Association the council has also replaced the diving boards, allowing the centre to develop a diving programme.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel