Tower Hamlets councillors visit revamped leisure centre in Shadwell
Tower Hamlets councillors were this week given a tour of a leisure centre which has been given a �800,000 revamp.
St George’s Leisure Centre in Shadwell underwent major interior and exterior repair works
after a structural survey highlighted that the swimming pool was nearing the end of its operational life. New windows and pool plant systems were also installed, and the reception area upgraded.
During their tour the councillors meet school children from nearby St Paul’s Primary School who put on a gymnastics display. They also watched youngsters from Harry Gosling School Primary School in Whitechapel trying out water polo in the restored pool.
The make over was funded by Tower Hamlets Council and leisure partner Better.
With the support of the Amateur Swimming Association the council has also replaced the diving boards, allowing the centre to develop a diving programme.
- 1 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 2 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 6 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Bow man charged after Dagenham stabbing given court date