Tower Hamlets homes £8,500 per square metre
- Credit: Archant
A phone box-sized space in Tower Hamlets costs more than £8,500, new figures reveal.
Tower Hamlets was the tenth most expensive local authority for house prices per area, with buyers shelling out £8,545 for every square metre of floor space.
The amount paid in wealthy Kensington and Chelsea, meanwhile, was a staggering £19,400, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
Prices in London soared above the rest of England and Wales, with 19 of the top 20 most expensive local authority areas found in the capital.
The City of London (£17,300), City of Westminster (£16,200) and Camden (£12,700) followed Kensington and Chelsea as the most costly areas.
You may also want to watch:
But prices in Tower Hamlets were still three and half times higher than the national average, £2,400.
ONS data shows that extending your property by one square metre will raise the house price by around £6,400, compared to £18,000 in Kensington and Chelsea.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning