Tower Hamlets Homes hosts its first ever community awards event
- Credit: Archant
Dedicated residents from Tower Hamlets who make a difference in their community have been given a special award from a housing group.
Tower Hamlets Homes (THH) recognised the dedicated winners at their first ever Outstanding Contribution to the Community Awards (OSCCAs) this week.
Winners include Sharmina Aktar who was given a youth champion award for volunteering as a youth worker and raising money for a range of charities
The 22-year-old from Bethnal Green has held events and stalls to support Care Home Charities, African Aid organisations and Islamic Relief.
She said: “I had a lovely evening and I felt happy and proud. My Mum came along and enjoyed being there to support me.”
You may also want to watch:
Janet Burns picked up a community champion award for transforming the community centre and food garden at the Cranbrook Estate in Bethnal Green into a thriving and bustling hub for residents.
“I came to live on the estate in 2009 and they wanted someone to run the centre,” she said.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 5 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 6 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
“I didn’t want to see it sitting empty, so I took it over. Lots of groups use the space now and everyone says hello to me and say that they have never seen the community centre so busy, it’s nice to hear that.”
The event was hosted by Alim Kamara, a Sierra Leonean hip-hop artist, poet and storyteller, and awards were presented by Ann Lucas, chair of THH’s Board and the Mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs.
Councillor Sirajul Islam, Tower Hamlets Council’s cabinet member for Housing, said: “Congratulations to all the winners and nominees at the first Tower Hamlets Homes OSCCAs.
“It was a wonderful event, well organised and lots of fun and celebration for all those who attended.”