Tower Hamlets is ‘one of the most expensive places to rent a home in England’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
If you’re a tenant looking for a home in Tower Hamlets we have bad news - figures claim the borough has some of the highest rents in England.
According to data from the Valuation Office Agency, the average monthly rent for a one-bedroom flat in Tower Hamlets, between April 2017 and March 2018, was £1,610.
This compares to a London average of £1,400 while across the country it is a mere £675.
If you’re after a three-bedroom flat or house you need to dig even deeper into your pockets with the average monthly rent at £2,167.
Dan Wilson Craw, director of pressure group Generation Rent, said: “Renters are in a bind. If they choose to live where there’s a strong jobs market they might see their pay packet gobbled up by high rents.
You may also want to watch:
“If they live somewhere cheaper, either there’s a risk that it’s harder to find a stable job or they pay for it in higher commuting costs.”
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided