Tower Hamlets Labour councillor resigns today blaming it on government NHS cuts
A Tower Hamlets Labour councillor has resigned today blaming it on the Tory government’s NHS cuts.
Weavers councillor Anna Lynch, who worked as a nurse at the London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green, said she is having to move to Somerset for work.
A by-election for her seat will be held on May 3 coinciding with the London Mayoral election.
Cllr Lynch said: “It is with sadness that today I resigned as a councillor representing Weavers ward. I work in the NHS and as a result of the Tory-led government’s cuts, I have had to move out of London for work, making it impossible to continue to keep my commitment to represent those that elected me.
“It’s been a difficult decision because I love living here and I love representing Weavers. “I’m proud of the work I’ve done with residents and my ward colleague Cllr Abdul Mukit over the past two years, including getting the council and police to take anti-social behaviour more seriously in the ward, campaigning against the problems caused by the growing night-time economy locally and stopping the independent Tower Hamlets Mayor from closing Rushmead One Stop Shop.”
You may also want to watch:
It is understood the Labour Group will shortly select a new candidate to fight the by-election her resignation causes.
Leader of the Labour Group Joshua Peck said: “I’m very sad Anna has had to resign as she has served Weavers ward well but I wish her well in her new job.”
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
“We will fight hard to elect a new Labour councillor to stand up for Weavers residents”.
Another Tower Hamlets by-election will be held for Spitalfields and Banglatown ward on April 19 after disgraced independent benefit fraud councillor Shelina Akhtar was barred from office.