Tower Hamlets Labour Mayoral selection contest gets into full swing
The contest for Labour’s nomination to stand against Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman is in full swing after a shortlist of candidates was announced.
Councillors have been coming out in support of their favoured candidates before an announcement of the final nominee on April 6.
The shortlist features former leader of Tower Hamlets Council Cllr Helal Abbas, who ran against Mayor Rahman in 2010, former deputy leader Cllr Sirajul Islam, lead member for health Cllr Rachael Saunders and London Assembly Member for City and East John Biggs.
Councillors John Pierce, Amy Whitelock and Carlo Gibbs all announced their backing for Cllr Saunders on Tuesday.
Cllr Saunders said: “Cllrs Amy Whitelock and Carlo Gibbs, along with John Pierce, are amongst the leading lights of Tower Hamlets Labour’s new generation of councillors. They, with me, want to take Tower Hamlets forward.”
You may also want to watch:
John Biggs AM also unveiled a campaign video on YouTube, urging people to spread the word about his candidacy.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning